Wednesday 22 May 2013

Deliciously Tangy Lemon Slice


I had one of those difficult days where I was like... I feel like making something, but I don't feel like cooking, but I feel like something cakey, but nothing to rich... And it when on and on until sister S turns around and says "Get over it already.. Make me a lemon slice."



My eyes lit up. I LOVE lemon slice! And I was yet to venture into slice territory. You know I've forever been comfortable in cupcake zone.



So lemon slice it was. I loved that instead of placing it in the oven, your tray goes in the fridge. You can sit and relax or concentrate on the icing. The world will not fall apart if you don't check on it regularly. The whole dish will not be ruined if its in the fridge for a minute too long! This was like heaven! A new world of dessert where I don't have to treat my creation so carefully because all could fall apart at any given moment if I get distracted. I was almost ready to give up the oven forever.



Of course I then discovered that the icing has to be done on stove top. Carly and stove tops have never mixed well. I'm sure that I have previously mentioned almost burning down my house trying to make caramel in my pre-blog days. You all know about the Tarte Tartin episode (if you don't you can click here to read). The feeling of dread always washes over me when it's stove time. I love and appreciate that S and lovely Mummy Dawn cook me dinner most nights that I'm home (needless to say, I visit Mummy Dawn's a lot).



I looked at the little saucepan sitting on the hot plate beckoning me closer. Teasing me with flashbacks of my prior disasters. Needless to say I stirred my icing with fear. Every 10 seconds I would think should I take it off now? What if any longer is too long? As I'm sure you've guessed, my prior failures have been due to not removing my creation from the stove early enough. 

I took it off a little too soon. This didn't affect the taste, thankfully, but did make spreading the icing over the base a very muscle based task. It set very quickly. And the coconut probably didn't stick as well as it ought to. But those were minor hiccups. I was so proud of my lovely slice. The first of many to come I am sure!



Enjoy the recipe for yourself!

Lemon Slice

80g Butter
250g Sweetened Condensed Milk
250g Nice Biscuits
85g Desiccated Coconut
1 tbsp Lemon Juice

icing
250g icing sugar
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut

1. Grease a slice pan and line with baking paper

2. Place butter and condensed milk in a saucepan on low heat and stir. Remove from heat when butter has melted and mixture is smooth.

3. Place biscuits in a food processor. Stir the crushed biscuits and coconut together.

4. Stir lemon juice into the milk mixture

5. Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Stir well. The mixture should appear quite wet.

6. Press mixture into the pan. Use a flat bottomed glass to squish it down firmly.

7. Refrigerate while preparing the icing.

8. Combine icing sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan on a low heat. Stir until mixture is warm and smooth. Immediately spread over the base then sprinkle with coconut.

Happy Baking!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment