I made the most delicious mini cupcake for a friend's birthday party this week. They taste just like peppermint chocolate chip ice-cream. No joke.
The funniest part is that it all started with an aim to make a lovely triple tiered peppermint chocolate chip cake. Which failed... miserably. The third tier didn't bode well. Once the tin had completely cooled I opened it to place it onto the rack. The entire thing crumbled into pieces. It just fell apart in my hands. I blame the horrid vindictive oven! Then my icing wasn't right. It set. Hard.
So I channelled my hatred into tiny, cute mini cupcakes. And they were delicious! Yummy little bite sized treats that everybody loved.
Try them for yourself!
Mini Mint Choc Chip Cupcakes:
9 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
180g Plain Flour
3 Tablespoons Corn Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Bi-Carb Soda
300g Caster Sugar
1/2 Cup Coffee (I used a long black setting on my Nespresso Machine, but instant coffee is fine)
1/2 Cup Milk
500g Icing Sugar
2 Teaspoons Peppermint Essence
150g Chocolate Flake
Green Food Coloring
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line two mini muffin trays with mini cupcake liners
2. Beat together butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Sift together dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together coffee and milk.
5. Add eggs to the butter mix, one at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
6. Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mix, followed by half of the milk mixture. Repeat and mix until smooth.
7. Divide mixture evenly between cupcake liners, so they are filled approx halfway.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes until skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in tray until at room temp then transfer to a wire rack.
9. For the icing; Beat the butter until smooth, add icing sugar 1 cup at a time until smooth. Add the essence and coloring to desired color. Gradually mix through the flake pieces.
10. Pipe icing onto cupcakes. Voila!